måndag 8 mars 2010

I love you Paul Poiret.

Well, love is a strong word, ready to lick his feet (to get a piece of clothing of course...) is a better way to describe it. After writing 1500 words (not that much, I know) about this fat, short, bald, French fashion designer I'm quite amazed over what he achived. He was one of the first to use marketing, and public relations, as a tool to sell clothes (there I just gave you my thesis...) and his influence on fashion today is still enormous. I understand why, just look at these amazing clothes! Talk about creativity at its best. Poiret was highly influenced by the orient, and as he threw parties on the same themes as his collections he forced the cremé de la cremé of Paris to buy his clothes. You were simply not allowed to enter the dream world he created in his villa unless you were dressed in his extravagant design, that made the parties work as a catwalk. As the guests often were famous women, such as Josephine Baker and Isadora Duncan, these women drew attention of the press, a smart strategy. The designer wanted to make fashion into a more recognized art form, and he collaborated with the most famous illustrators during the la belle epoqué, such as Ertré, Lepape (see the one below)and Paul Irbe. Together with them he made beautiful albums (equal to the fashion catalogues of today)that was handed out to wealthy, and important clients. I can assure you that my essay is a bit fuller than this, but at least now my lovely mum can see that I'm using my fashion knowledge for something good. If she ever had any doubts that is.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar